Blackberry Games

Blackberry 72xx/75 Games   71xx Games   81xx Games   87xx Games   88xx Games   83xx Games   9xxx Games
Subject: Desktop Manager Issues
bb818
Super Moderator

Registered 19-10-2007
Credits 4871
Posts 871
Reading Access 150
Status Offline
Post at 27-11-2007 11:24 PM Profile Blog P.M.

Desktop Manager Issues

1. I connected my handheld to my PC and launched BlackBerry Desktop Manager. A dialog appeared asking me to enter my password. What password?

2. I selected Settings from the File menu in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then clicked the Detect button. A dialog appeared saying "Handheld not found".

3. I selected Settings from the File menu in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then selected the COM port my cradle is plugged into. A dialog appeared saying "Invalid serial port selected".

4. My handheld was connected to my desktop, but now the connection is broken even though my handheld is still in the cradle. I'm using BlackBerry Desktop Manager on a laptop.

5. The Status field of BlackBerry Desktop Manager still says "Connected" after I've removed my handheld from the cradle.

6. I selected Settings from the File menu in BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then I selected the COM port I'm using for my cradle. A dialog appeared saying "Unable to open COM x".

7. My Redirector Settings icon is gone. What happened?

8. When I start my desktop software, it stops responding. How can I correct this?

1. I connected my handheld to my PC and launched BlackBerry Desktop Manager. A dialog appeared asking me to enter my password. What password?

- If you have a password enabled on your handheld, enter that password. The password dialog will appear whenever you are transferring information between your PC and your handheld.
- If you do not have a password enabled on your handheld, there is a minor file problem on your handheld. Remove your handheld from the cradle and reset it by pressing ALT + SHIFT + BACKSPACE simultaneously. Now you can place it in the cradle again and connect to your PC.

2. I selected Settings from the File menu in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then clicked the Detect button. A dialog appeared saying "Handheld not found".

- Make sure that your cradle is plugged in to a COM port on the back of your PC and that the handheld is placed securely in the cradle.
- The serial ports on your handheld and in the cradle must be aligned.
- Try clicking Detect again, or you can manually select the COM port you are using from the drop down list.

3. I selected Settings from the File menu in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then selected the COM port my cradle is plugged into. A dialog appeared saying "Invalid serial port selected".

The serial port you have selected is not recognized by BlackBerry Desktop Manager as a valid port on your PC.

- Verify that the port you have selected is the port you have plugged the cradle into.
- Clicking Detect will automatically tell you the port number of your cradle.

4. My handheld was connected to my desktop, but now the connection is broken even though my handheld is still in the cradle. I'm using BlackBerry Desktop Manager on a laptop.

Some laptops may re-assign COM ports spontaneously. If you are using a laptop and it re-assigns the COM port you are using to connect your handheld, the connection will be broken. To find out what the COM port number is, go to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, select Settings from the File menu, and click Detect.

5. The Status field of BlackBerry Desktop Manager still says "Connected" after I've removed my handheld from the cradle.

Try re-inserting the handheld and then removing it again. If that doesn't work, restart BlackBerry Desktop Manager. If you are done working in BlackBerry Desktop Manager, you can simply close the program. It does not need to be running for messages to be redirected to your handheld.

6. I selected Settings from the File menu in BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then I selected the COM port I'm using for my cradle. A dialog appeared saying "Unable to open COM x".

- Plug the cradle into the COM port you are selecting and place the handheld in it.
- Now try again to select the COM port.
- If you get the error message again, verify that you are using the COM port that you selected.
- If you aren't sure what port you are using, click Detect.

7. My Redirector Settings icon is gone. What happened?

If you are working offline or are not connected to the mail server, your Redirector Settings icon will not appear. If you are connected to the mail server, you may be experiencing a slow connection. Call your IT department and check if there are any internal network issues.
If there are no internal network issues, you are not working offline, and you are connected to the mail server, there may be a problem with your MAPI profile which can cause the Redirector Settings icon to disappear.
To recreate your MAPI profile:
1. Click Start>Settings>Control Panel and double-click the Mail icon.
2. Select Show Profiles and click Add. Follow the Inbox Set Up Wizard to create a new profile.
3. Restart your computer. Confirm that you can connect to the Exchange server using your new profile. Send a test email to an outside account.
4. Start the desktop software again.

8. When I start my desktop software, it stops responding. How can I correct this?

You should confirm that Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes is selected as the default email program.
1. From your Start menu, click Settings>Control Panel.
2. Open Internet Options and select the Programs tab. Confirm that Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes is listed beside the Email field.
The desktop software must be installed using your own account. If you are unsure of what account was used to install the BlackBerry software, contact your IT department.
An incorrect MAPI profile can also cause the desktop software to stop responding. You will need to recreate your MAPI profile.
1. From your Start menu, click Settings>Control Panel and double-click the Mail icon.
2. Select Show Profiles and click Add. Follow the Inbox Set Up Wizard to create a new profile.
3. Restart your computer. Confirm you can connect to the Exchange server using your new profile. Send a test email to an outside account.
4. Start the desktop software to confirm that it is responding as expected.